MHG6882 - Cup marked stone, Little Urchany Wester


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH84NE 8 869 487.

Part of a cup-marked stone was found about 1882 in the wall of a farm-building at Little Urchany Wester (? Area NH 869 487). The building, which had been built about 1812, had lately fallen.
The cup-marked fragment is of yellow sandstone and has been split and has part of its corner removed. It measures 2' 1" by 8 1/2" broad at one end and 7 1/2" at the other.
It bears 12 complete cups, 2" to 3 1/2" wide and from 1 3/8" to 1/2" deep, and two or three incomplete.
It was taken to Cawdor Castle (NH 8471 4987) for preservation.
W Jolly 1882.

According to local information, stones from the Clava-type ring-cairn (NH84NE 1) were used in the construction of farm-buildings at Wester Little Urchany. The cup-marked stone is still preserved at Cawdor Castle. Visited by OS (N K B) 21 January 1971.

This stone could originally have come from either of the ring cairns NH84NE 1 or 2. It is still at Cawdor Castle.
RCAHMS 1978, visited May 1978.

Sources/Archives (2)



Grid reference Centred NH 8680 4869 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH84NE
Civil Parish CAWDOR
Geographical Area NAIRN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.