MHG6884 - BA Axe, Newlands of Clunas
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
GR for Newlands of Clunas corrected to above from 1st ed OS - HAW 4/2003
NH84NE 6 c. 88 47
A flanged bronze axe (Coles' Class III, Premnay group) found at Newlands of Clunas (house at NH 880 475) in 1942, which was formerly in Nairn Museum, is now in RMS(NMAS) (DC 143).
J M Coles 1966; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1967; I C Walker 1974.
(Unclassified flanged axe). Clunas, Cawdor, Nairnshire. Single find. Flanged axe, smooth, green, low bar stop. Length 115mm, butt 23mm, cutting edge 47mm, weight 130 gms. NMAS DC 143.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Middle Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 136; fig. 4.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Walker, I C. 1974. 'The counties of Nairnshire, Moray and Banffshire in the Bronze Age, Part II', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 104 1971-2, p.71-120. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 71-120. 102, No. 1.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DC 143.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 113, no. 742.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1967. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 98 1964-6, p.326-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 326-38. 333.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 72.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8804 4750 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-077-C& (Link to online NMS catalogue record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15017 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-077-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.