MHG6917 - Tolbooth, High Street, Nairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOLBOOTH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
GR corrected to above - HAW 01/2004
NH85NE 9 8837 5652.
The tolbooth of Nairn is mentioned in the late 16th. century. It was burnt by the Royalist troops in 1716 and rebuilt about 1750 and 1811, and improved in 1870.
G Bain 1893; Information from the Nairnshire Telegraph, 17 February 1953
NH 8837 5652 Local opinion is that the present Town and County Building and Sheriff Court stands on the site of the old Tolbooth, but there is no evidence to support this opinion.
Visited by OS (E G C) 30 November 1961.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8837 5653 (50m by 50m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15147 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.