MHG6925 - Former Parish Church, Church Road, Nairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1820 AD (between))
J Aitken : 12/02/03
NH85NE 5 8853 5627.
(NH 8853 5627) Church (NR) (In Ruins) OS 6" map, (1938)
Church (NAT) OS 6" map, Nairnshire, 1st ed., (1871)
Nairn parish church was built in 1765 and rebuilt in 1811, on the site of the former church.
Info from The Nairnshire Telegraph, 17 February 1953.
The ruins of this 19th century church stand to a height of 2.0 metres, except the south wall which stands to roof level.
Visited by OS (E G C) 30 November 1961.
A survey of graveyard monuments of Nairn Riverside Church was carried out by S Farrell. S Farrell 1997 MS/997/3
An evaluation survey was undertaken of the cemeteries and burial grounds in the Inverness and Nairn areas, including the archaeological, historical and environmental standing of the sites and the monuments contained therein. A note was made of the date, variety, condition and management of those monuments.
The study of the environmental factors involved in the survey was developed in conjunction with the Scottish Wildlife Trust.
Nairn ?Riverside? Church (Nairn parish)
NH 8853 5627 198 memorials recorded.
Reports lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS.
Sponsors: CBA Challenge Funding, Highland Council, Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Inverness Area Countryside Project, Leader II. S Farrell 1997 <1>
SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE
Plan of the new church at Nairn. Plan and Elevation of the side fronting the street. Contract 1729. Account of expenses 1730.
Account of expenses for building the Church on the ground of the Manse. They are to amount to ?150
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 279.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Farrell, S. 1997. 'Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey (Ardclach; Croy & Dalcross; Daviot & Dunlichity; Moy & Dalarossie; Nairn; Urquhart & Glenmoriston parishes), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8853 5627 (23m by 27m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB38411 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15138 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.