MHG6927 - Nairn Railway Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (In use, 19th Century to 21st Century - 1855 AD to 2100 AD)
Nairn Station, opened 1855 by the Inverness & Nairn Rly, and rebuilt 1885 by the Highland Rly. The platforms are linked by a lattice-girder footbridge, and there is a wooden goods shed of typical Highland Rly. Pattern in the goods yard. J R Hume 1977.
The railway station, including the main offices, passenger shelter, ancilliary building and footbridge were listed at Category B in 1981.
Railway Station, Cawdor Road. By Murdoch Paterson, 1885.
J Gifford 1992.
This intermediate station on the Inverness-Keith-Aberdeen (main) line of the (former) Highland Rly. Was opened on 5 November 1855 (by the Inverness and Nairn Rly.) and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.
R V J Butt 1995.
The listing was deleted from the list by Historic Scotland in 2013 as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13), combined with HBNUM 46540 (two signal boxes - see also MHG38730 & MHG38733) and re-added to the list with the same numbering and listing date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, R V J. 1995. The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present. 166.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 281.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 239-40; pls. 68, 97.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Brough, Y.. 2013. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Forty Fourth Amendment) 2013. Historic Scotland. 12/07/2013. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8814 5600 (104m by 109m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (8)
- Parent of: East signal box - Nairn Railway Station, (Building) (MHG38733)
- Parent of: Footbridge - Nairn Railway Station, Cawdor Road (Monument) (MHG46806)
- Parent of: Former passenger shelter - Nairn Railway Station, Cawdor Road (Building) (MHG46804)
- Parent of: Former railway agent's house - Sharoma, Nairn Railway Station (Building) (MHG16027)
- Parent of: Goods shed - Nairn Railway Station (Building) (MHG32134)
- Parent of: Main station offices - Nairn Railway Station (Building) (MHG32133)
- Parent of: Store (ancilliary building) or shelter - Nairn Railway Station, Cawdor Road (Building) (MHG46805)
- Parent of: West signal box - North Platform, Nairn Railway Station (Building) (MHG16026)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB38454 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15136 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.