MHG6958 - Market Cross, High Street, Nairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MARKET CROSS (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH85NE 1 8838 5651.
(NH 8841 5655) Cross (NR) OS 25" map, Nairnshire, (1905)
(NH 8841 5654) Site of Cross (NR) OS 25" map, Nairnshire, (1868)
The market cross was removed from its site in centre of the High St 1757 and re-erected on its present site at NE corner of manse wall.
It consists of a circular stone pillar about 1' in diameter and 7 high, resting on a circular stone about four feet in diameter. It is probable that the sundials near the top are the old Horloge Stone (NH85NE 4).
Name Book 1868; G Bain 1893.
The remains of the market cross are as described above, but the base stone is 0.7 metre in diameter.
On top of the pillar is the old Horloge Stone.
Visited by OS (E G C) 30 November 1961.
Market Cross moved a short distance SW of former position to NH 8838 5651 against the S wall of the County Buildings.
Visited by OS (A A) 19 September 1972.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8837 5651 (4m by 4m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB38428 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15094 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.