MHG6990 - Cawdor Ring Ditch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RING DITCH (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
NH85SW 16 847 521.
NH 847 521. Air photographs have revealed the crop-mark of a ring-ditch 600m SE of Tomluncart. It measures 10m in diameter within a ditch about 1.5m broad; there is a gap in the ditch on the E.
The site was identified as part of a desk based assessment and walk over survey in 2004 for the Nairn to Clunas Replacement Water Main. <1>
See link below to HES Canmore for aerial photos.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 15, No. 98.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Harding and Lee, A F and G E. 1987. Henge monuments and related sites of Great Britain: air photographic evidence and catalogue. Brit Ser. 175. 369, No. 269.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fasham, P. 03/2005. Nairn to Clunas Replacement Water Main: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and walk over survey Vol 2 (Revised Route). Jacobs Babtie Ltd. 10/03/2005. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8469 5210 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5144 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15213 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.