MHG6995 - Chapel, Foynesfield
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH85SE 6 892 538.
'A chapel, dedicated to St Ninian, existed at Foynesfield (St Ninian's Well - NH85SE 2 - is at NH 8952 5379). It was known by the Gaelic form of 'St Ninian', viz. 'St Ringan', and the place is called 'Ringan' by the Gaelic-speak- ing people to this day. A clump of ash trees alone remains to mark the site of the ecclesiastical settlement.' G Bain 1893
The 'clump of ashtrees' mentioned by Bain could not be located and there is no local knowledge of the site of St Ninian's Chapel.
Visited by OS (N K B) 16 November 1965.
No definite evidence exists for the location of the pre-Reformation chapel. However, the site is reputed locally to have been on a hillock at NH 892 538, where stone is still ploughed up.
RCAHMS 1978, visited May 1978.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8920 5380 (40m by 40m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15202 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.