MHG7000 - Site of Polneach, Cawdor
A farmhouse set within a formal garden which was built some time before 1842 and destroyed by the construction of Brackla airfield.
Type and Period (3)
- FARMSTEAD (Extant, 19th Century to Second World War - 1801 AD? to 1941 AD (between))
- HOUSE (Extant, 19th Century to Second World War - 1801 AD? to 1941 AD (between))
- GARDEN (Extant, 19th Century to Second World War - 1801 AD? to 1941 AD (between))
- None recorded
NH85SE 40 8530 5189
Site of former farm.
OS 6" map, Nairnshire, 1st ed. (1871), sheet iv; RCAHMS 1978, Visited May 1978. <1>
No trace of the building now survives. <2>
The Inverness Journal dated Friday, 15 April 1842 carries an advertisement for the House of Polneach with garden and lawn to be let. <3>
The 6 inch 5th edition Ordnance Survey map dated 1959 shows no trace of the house and garden, which has been destroyed to make way for the Second World War airfield. <4>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 22, No. 184.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Fasham, P. 03/2005. Nairn to Clunas Replacement Water Main: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and walk over survey Vol 2 (Revised Route). Jacobs Babtie Ltd. 10/03/2005. Digital. Site 15.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Am Baile. 2003-2009. Am Baile Newspaper Indexes.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1959-1963. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map: Epoch 5a.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8526 5187 (185m by 191m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15196 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.