MHG7001 - Rait Castle, burial ground
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH85SE 4 c. 893 525.
A burying ground was visible near Rait Castle (NH85SE 10) in 1776. Some of the gravestone bore the figure of a bow and arrow, but the spot has been ploughed and stones broken.
G Bain 1893; C Cordiner 1780.
No further information. Visited by OS (N K B) 16 November 1965.
- --- SHG1938 Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 173.
- --- SHG2061 Text/Publication/Volume: Cordiner, C. 1780. Antiquities and scenery of the north of Scotland, in a series of letters to Thomas Pennant, Esq.. Vol. 1, 62.
- --- SHG2666 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. RCAHMS. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 17, No. 126.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8929 5250 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15195 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.