MHG7045 - Inshoch Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH95NW 3 9364 5669.
Castle (NR) (rems of) OS 1:10,000 map (1977)
Inshoch Castle, originally on Z-plan apparently dates from second half of 16th century, with a later addition on W.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887
Inshoch Castle, generally as described by MacGibbon and Ross, has deteriorated greatly since their visit. The newel staircase in N has collapsed and later addition on W is reduced to ground level. Visited by OS (RL) 11 December 1970
Photographed by RCAHMS (flown 1976).
(Undated) information in NMRS.
NATIONAL LIBRARY DRAWINGS
1 drawing 5th October Vol.1, No.2
1 drawing 5th October Vol.1 no.12
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Love J, McMullen E (ed). 1994. A Salmon for the Schoolhouse, A Nairnshire Parish in the C19.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. Vol.2, 146-8; fig.702.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Auldearn. Yes. Site 21.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 18, No. 133.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9364 5669 (27m by 22m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1234 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15557 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.