MHG7047 - Burgh, Auldearn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURGH (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
GR corrected to above to lie to east of motte within modern village - HAW 04/2004
NH95NW 27 91 55
This burgh is first referred to in the reign of William the Lion (1165-1214), with whom the motte on Dooket Hill (NH95NW 11) is traditionally associated.
G S Pryde 1965; RCAHMS 1978
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Pryde, G S. 1965. The burghs of Scotland: a critical list. 12, no.22; 56, no.194.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 19, no.137.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: James Urquhart, F.S.A., S.C.O.T.. 1896. 'Preliminary notice of the seals of the royal burghs of Scotland.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 30 1896, p.253-66. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 253-66. 253-66.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9194 5547 (30m by 30m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15555 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.