MHG7058 - LBA Socketed Axe, Auldearn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
An LBA bag-type socketed bronze axe from Auldearn is in the British Museum (Greenwell Collection: WG 1979). It is 3.1" long by 2 .5" across the blade and was presented to Canon Greenwell by J P Morgan in 1909.
J M Coles 1962; I C Walker 1967.
(Alford variant of Portree type). Auldearn, Nairnshire. Single find. Socketed axe, green and black, porous surface, hammered cutting edge, double haft ribs. Length 80mm, mouth 27x31mm, cutting edge 60mm, weight 302 gms. BM WG 1979.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This axehead was catalogued as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Late Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 150-77. 165.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 71.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Walker, I C. 1967. 'Some objects from Nairnshire, Moray and Banffshire in the British Museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 98 1964-6, p.312-15. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 312-15. 314.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Walker, I C. 1974. 'The counties of Nairnshire, Moray and Banffshire in the Bronze Age, Part II', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 104 1971-2, p.71-120. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 71-120. 104, no. 3.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 189, no. 1089.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 110.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9190 5539 (4m by 4m)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15544 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.