MHG7069 - Cairnfield, Carn Na Caillich
A dispersed group of twenty eight cairns indicating cultivation of uncertain date.
Type and Period (4)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Late Bronze Age to 19th Century - 1250 BC? to 1900 AD?)
- CAIRNFIELD (Late Bronze Age to 19th Century - 1250 BC? to 1900 AD?)
- LYNCHET (Late Bronze Age to 19th Century - 1250 BC? to 1900 AD?)
- SHOOTING STAND? (In use, 19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
NH94SW 8 centred on 904 427.
Field clearance. Visible on RAF vertical Aps (CPE/Scot/UK/252: 3171-2 - flown 9 August 1947).
A field system marked by stone clearance heaps and lynchets, similar to those contemporary with hut circles. Deep heather obscures details of plots. No hut circles are evident.
Visited by OS (R L) 27 January 1971.
A large number of small cairns is situated on E face of Carn na Caillich.
RCAHMS 1978, visited May 1978. <1>
A group of twenty-eight small cairns (NMRS MS 738/28, no.3), which are dispersed over the E brow of Carn na Caillich, were recorded during the course of a pre-afforestation survey by AOC (Scotland) Ltd. They average 4m to 5m in width but are seldom more than 0.5m high. Some visibly consist of substantial quantities of rounded rubble, others are densely clad in heather. A few cairns have been robbed or disturbed possibly for temporary use as shooting-butts.
J O'Sullivan and D Rankin, AOC (Scotland) Ltd, December 1995; NMRS MS 738/28 <2>
NH 915 425 (centre) A pre-afforestation survey at Coulmony/Carn na Caillich, on the River Findhorn, was commissioned by Historic Scotland in response to management proposals by Cawdor Estate, and was conducted by AOC (Scotland) Ltd in November 1995.
NH 904 427 Cairnfield (NH 94 SW 8).
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
AOC (Scotland) Ltd 1996. <3>
- <1> SHG2672 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 14, No. 84.
- <2> SHG20953 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: O'Sullivan, J and Rankin, D. 12/1995. Forestry Survey: Coulmony, Cawdor Estate, Highland Region. AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 01/01/1996. Site 3.
- <3> SHG470 Text/Publication/Article: AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 1996. 'Coulmony/Carn na Caillich (Ardclach parish), farmsteads, kiln barn, dykes, hut circle, cairnfields', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.58. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 58. 58.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 90488 42766 (167m by 216m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15511 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.