MHG7078 - Farmstead, Refuil
An abandoned 18th or 19th-century farmstead.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH94SW 14 9070 4194
Farm consisting of three dry-stone buildings and an enclosure, apparently of at least two periods of construction.
OS 6" maps, Nairnshire, 1st ed. (1871), sheets viii and xi; 2nd ed. (1906), sheets viii SW and xi NW;
RCAHMS 1978, visited April 1978 <1>
This farmstead (NMRS MS 738/28, no.1), which comprises three buildings and associated enclosures, which occupies two adjacent knolls in an otherwise poorly-drained area, was recorded during the course of a pre-afforestation survey by AOC (Scotland) Ltd. A group of three buildings occupy the S knoll. They are laid out in an L-shaped arrangement, with doorways opening into the 'courtyard' area formed by the angle of the building group. The individual buildings are variously 16m, 13m and 13m long and are all 5m wide and are defined by drystone-rubble walls about 0.6m wide and generally between 0.5m and 1m high. To the E of the buildings, there is a rubble cairn with some household debris, and a group of tiny, less than 2m by 1m, oblong wall butts, which may be the remains of poultry houses. There is a single building on the N knoll, which is 26m long by 4m wide with drystone-rubble walls 0.5m thick and 0.6m high. It is internally divided into three chambers, with a doorway opening to the SE in the longest, or S, chamber. There is a small cell or annexe, 3m wide by 2m deep, to the S of the doorway. There are remains of enclosures, or abutting structures, appended to the gables of the building at either end.
Around the farmstead, to the N, W and S are some field-banks and drystone dykes. Those to the S are low earthen banks, up to 3m wide and 0.5m high, whilst those to the N and W are drystone rubble walls 0.8m wide and not more than 0.5m high.
The buildings, but not the field boundaries, are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Nairnshire 1871 sheets viii and xi).
J O'Sullivan and D Rankin, AOC (Scotland) Ltd, December 1995; NMRS MS 738/28 <2>
One T-shaped unroofed building, two roofed buildings and an enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Nairnshire 1871-5-6, sheet xi). Three unroofed buildings shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 9 August 1996
NH 915 425 (centre) A pre-afforestation survey at Coulmony/Carn na Caillich, on the River Findhorn, was commissioned by Historic Scotland in response to management proposals by Cawdor Estate, and was conducted by AOC (Scotland) Ltd in November 1995.
NH 9070 4195 Abandoned farmstead (NH 94 SW 14).
Sponsor: Historic Scotland <3>
AOC (Scotland )Ltd 1996.
- --- SHG5088 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG5089 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- <1> SHG2672 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 22, No. 187.
- <2> SHG20953 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: O'Sullivan, J and Rankin, D. 12/1995. Forestry Survey: Coulmony, Cawdor Estate, Highland Region. AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 01/01/1996. Site 1.
- <3> SHG470 Text/Publication/Article: AOC (Scotland) Ltd. 1996. 'Coulmony/Carn na Caillich (Ardclach parish), farmsteads, kiln barn, dykes, hut circle, cairnfields', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.58. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 58. 58.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9067 4197 (228m by 288m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15502 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.