MHG7116 - Chambered Cairn - Belmaduthy
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH65NW 2 6446 5597.
(NH 6446 5597) Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
This is a severely robbed chambered cairn whose extent has obviously been curtailed by ploughing. The chamber is rectangular, Orkney-Cromarty type. Beaton indicates that the cairn was oval, measuring c65' by 45' with long axis ENE-WSW. He also shows an additional upright stone, 3' high, on eastern edge of cairn. The surviving stones range from 2' to 5' high.
A group of five hollows on the inner face of the E. end stone may be cup-marks.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 11 July 1956.
The chambered cairn is generally as described and planned above. It has been greatly reduced by ploughing. The alleged cup-marked stone has eight circular indentations on its inside face, which are probably natural as these 'type markings' are common on stones of the conglomerate sandstone variety.
Visited by OS (R B) 9 March 1966.
Douglas Scott submitted a photo of the midwinter sun rising in line with the passage. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, A J. 1882. 'Notes on the antiquities of the Black Isle, Ross-shire, with plans and sections', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 16 1881-2, p.477-92. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 477-92. 489-91; fig. 8.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 3.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 338, ROS 8.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Scott, D. 2010-11. Photographs and information from Douglas Scott. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6446 5597 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4613 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13565 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.