MHG7140 - Tarbat - Manse Stone
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CROSS SLAB (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- (Alternate Type) CARVED STONE (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
This stone was first noticed by the Rev J M Joass built into wall of the manse garden at Tarbat. It is the rectangular portion of an upright cross-slab (?) 1'7" high by 1' wide. It bears an inscription in Hiberno-Saxon capitals of the 8th or 9th century. The letters being in relief instead of incised is a unique feature.
E W R Nicholson has suggested REOTETII as the probable reading of the partially illegible name of the person commemorated and identifies him with the REOTHAIDE or REODAIDE whose death is recorded in 762 in the Annals of Ulster, and in 763 in the Annals of Tigernach. In both, he is called "Ab. Ferna" which, however, is understood to be Ferns in Ireland, and the difficulty of connecting him with Tarbat remains. The stone is listed as Class III, Tarbat no 10.
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903. <1>
The stone is now in the NMAS. (Acc No: IB 286)
Information from NMAS accessions index.
Face 1: shows the apex of a square panel containing
spiral ornament in relief.
Face 2: shows, on a narrow side, the inscription in
relief insular majuscules. Transliteration: IN NOMINE…IHU XRI…CRUX XRI…IN…COMMEMORATIONE…REO…LII…DIE
Translation: IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST, THE (a?) CROSS OF CHRIST IN MEMORY OF REO…LIUS. <2>
See link below to the Tarbat Discovery Programme Sculpture Catalogue for further information and drawings of the 38 individual carved stones. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Higgitt, J. 1983. 'The Pictish latin inscription at Tarbat in Ross-shire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 112 1982, p.300-21. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 300-21. 300-21.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 28, No. 242.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt. 3, 94-5; illust..
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Tarbat Discovery Programme. 2006. Tarbat Discovery Programme: Sculpture Catalogue. TR13.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Webpage: 2003. Tarbat Discovery Programme Sculpture Catalogue. TR13.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9159 8399 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/sites/tarbat/stonecat/sculptureCatalogue.html (Tarbat Discovery Programme Sculpture Catalogue)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15639 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/sites/tarbat/stonecat/sculptureCatalogue.html (Link to online Tarbat Discovery Programme Scupture Catalogue)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.