MHG8475 - Tarbat Old Parish Church

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHURCH (Early Medieval to 21st Century - 561 AD to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH98SW 4.0 9147 8402

(See also NH98SW 38)

Although partly rebuilt in 1756, the main block of this T-plan church, dedicated to St Colman, retains its medieval E-W orientation, and underneath E end of the church is a vaulted crypt, first described in early 18th century. <1> <2> <3> <4> <5> <6> <7>

(For cross-slabs etc. found in the vicinity, see NH 98 SW 8, 14-16.)

The church and burial ground were listed at Category A in 1971.

Jim Bone AP 2003 - HAW 10/2003

The church was excavated by York University prior to conversion for use as a museum. Five phases of development were identified. First an early Pictish cell almost square that lay under the east end of the current church but on a slightly different alignment (still visible in the crypt). Subsequent phases as the church was extended to current form. From excavation evidence outside the church, it is believed that the site may have been deliberately destroyed in the 10th century - pictish sculptures appear to have been deliberately smashed and there is a deposit of burning. The site may have lain abandoned for a while before later rebuild. Evidence of the burning of the church in the C14 was found in the internal deposits. A few of the post medieval pews etc have been retained - HAW 8/2004

The archaeological remains of the pictish monastic settlement below the burial ground and in the surrounding area were scheduled by Historic Scotland in 2010. <8>

The scheduled archaeological remains of the pictish monastic settlement below the burial ground were specifically excluded from the listing in August 2015 as part of a project looking at dual designations of sites in the Highlands, though they remain a scheduled monument. The statutory address was formerly 'Portmahomack Tarbat Old Church And Burial Ground'. <9>

See also:
NH98SW0030 Graveyard
NH98SW0076 Dingwall and Maclenzie monument


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7794.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7795.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7798.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7799.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7800.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7801.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7802.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7803.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7804.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7805.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7806.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7807.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7808.


Ross Graveyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG7809.


Taylor, A, 02/2010, A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25366.


James Ritchie, 1915, ''Description of simple inscribed cross observed in the churchyard of Tarbat and now destroyed.'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 49 1915, p.304-6, 304-6 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3021.


Stell and Beaton, G and E, 1984, Local building traditions, 207-18 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3187.


<1> NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 14, Ross-shire, 461 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.


<2> OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 434 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.


<3> Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.), 1906-8, Geographical collections relating to Scotland, Vol. 1, 215 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2441.


<4> Cowan, I B, 1967, The parishes of medieval Scotland, 195 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG367.


<5> Macdonald and Laing, A D S and L R, 1973, 'Early ecclesiastical sites in Scotland: a field survey, part II', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 102 1969-70, p.129-45, 138 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG692.


<6> RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 28, No. 241 (Text/Report). SHG2670.


<7> Stell, G, 1986, Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707, 127-8; fig. 8.15 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3139.


<8> Historic Scotland, 09/2010, Entry in the Schedule of Monuments Re: Portmahomack monastic settlement, 95m SSW of Tarbat West Church NGR: NH914839 (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG24988.


<9> Jackson, L., 2015, Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, Two Hundred and Seventh Amendment) 2015 (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG27389.

Sources/Archives (26)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 91479 84025 (28m by 18m) (Mastermap)
Map sheet NH98SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish TARBAT

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (5)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.