MHG8473 - Monastic site, Portmahomack
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MONASTIC SETTLEMENT (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
See Associated Documents for material relating to the Tarbat Discovery Centre and associated excavations
For associated Records see 'Children'.
A large area to the south of Tarbat Ness Road has been assessed by Historic Scotland as of national importance and worthy of scheduling. This comprises the buried remains of a large early historic, Pictish monastic settlement, in use from the 6th to 8th centuries AD and later re-occupied. <1>
A large area to the SSW of Tarbat West Church has now been Scheduled by Historic Scotland. Archaeological excavations demonstrate that the foundations of buildings survive within the settlement and aerial photographs show the cropmark of a D-shaped boundary ditch surrounding the settlement and enclosing the present Tarbat West Church. <2>
- --- SHG12029 Image/Photograph(s): Portmahomack.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG12030 Image/Photograph(s): Portmahomack.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG12031 Image/Photograph(s): Portmahomack.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG2865 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Carver, M.. 1999. Tarbat Discovery Programme Bulletin No.4. University of York. 25/10/1999. Paper (Original).
- <1> SHG24765 Text/Report: Historic Scotland. 03/2010. Proposal to Schedule an Ancient Monument: Statement of National Importance. Historic Scotland. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <2> SHG24988 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Scotland. 09/2010. Entry in the Schedule of Monuments Re: Portmahomack monastic settlement, 95m SSW of Tarbat West Church NGR: NH914839. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9148 8402 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM12793 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.