MHG8489 - Carved Stones - Tarbat Old Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NB extensive pieces of pictish carved stones from the excavations in the area. Full publication not yet available. Some pieces appear to have been deliberately smashed when in prime condition, others have obviously been re-used. A large collection of material in the NMS is on loasn to Tarbat Discovery Centre. Other pieces await TT reporting and panel - HAW 8/2004
Another Pictish stone was found among builders rubble, a good piece with carving on both sides. One side has the key pattern and the other has spirals. Found - 12/05/99.
See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 29/01/01.
NH98SW 14 9149 8402.
(NH 9140 8402) Danish Cross (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
The site of a Danish Cross, fragments of which are to be seen in the church. There is no record of when it was broken or removed.
Name Book 1872.
11 fragments of sculptured stones belonging to Allen's Class III have been found from time to time in Tarbat churchyard. Some are supposed to have formed part of a cross which formerly stood in centre of churchyard. The cross is alleged to have been demolished by gravedigger and broken up for gravestones c. 1806, but this seems to be an error as fragments were noted by Cordiner in 1776.
Eight of fragments are preserved at Invergordon Castle, one is in Tarbat church and remaining two are in the NMAS (Acc Nos IB 130 & 131, acquired 1889 from Hugh Miller). NSA states that "a low green mound adjoining the E gable of the church" is site where cross stood. This agrees with the OS published entry, but not with Allen.
C Cordiner 1776; NSA 1845; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.
Six of the stones were donated to the NMAS in 1958. (Acc Nos: IB 280-5) Information from NMAS accessions index.
See link below to the Tarbat Discovery Programme Sculpture Catalogue for further information and drawings of the 38 individual carved stones. <1>
The NMS catalogue lists several carved stone fragments from Tarbat. These are listed under Acc. Nos. IB 130-30, IB 209, IB 250, IB 280 A-C, IB 281- 85, 1999.27.1- 1999.27.20. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt. 3, 88-93; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cordiner, C. 1780. Antiquities and scenery of the north of Scotland, in a series of letters to Thomas Pennant, Esq.. 66.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Ross and Cromarty, 461.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 28, No. 242.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 30, 40.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Webpage: 2003. Tarbat Discovery Programme Sculpture Catalogue.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. IB 130, IB 131, IB 209, IB 250, IB 280- IB 285, 1999.27.1- 1999.27.20.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9148 8402 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- CARVED OBJECT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (10)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-484-C& (Link to NMS online collections database IB 130)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-485-C& (Link to NMS online collections database IB 131)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-511-C& (Link to NMS online collections database IB 209)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-524-C& (Link to NMS online collections database IB 250)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-534-C& (Link to NMS online collections database IB 280A-C)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-538-C& (Link to NMS online collections database IB 284)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-539-C& (Link to NMS online collections database IB 285)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-190-004-093-C& (Link to NMS online collections database IB 281 and IB 283)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15637 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/sites/tarbat/stonecat/sculptureCatalogue.html (Link to online Tarbat Discovery Programme Sculpture Catalogue)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.