MHG7141 - Tarbat Old Parish Church - No.1 Stone
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS SLAB (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
Recently many more stones have been found at Tarbat - mainly as a result of the excavations by the University of York. See NH98SW0014
NH98SW 15 9151 8402.
Sculptured Stone (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
The site of an ancient sculptured stone, one half of which now lies in graveyard; remainder is said to have been thrown into a grave and covered up.
Name Book 1872.
This stone lay in Tarbat churchyard until about middle of C19th, when it was removed to ground of Invergordon Castle. It is lower portion of an upright rectangular cross-slab, 2'1" high x 2'8" wide, sculptured partly with incised lines and partly in relief on one face. The border of scroll foliage is almost an exact counterpart of that on Hilton of Cadboll stone (NH87NE 7), and there is little doubt that both are work of same school of design. Listed as Class II, Tarbat no. 1.
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.
Now in NMAS (IB 190) RCAHMS 1979; 1985.
Class II symbol stone - fragment of cross slab - on the reverse is a mounted figure to the left of a vertical arrangement of crescent and V-rod,tuning fork and serpent and Z-rod.
A.Mack 1997 p.39
See link below to the Tarbat Discovery Programme Sculpture Catalogue for further information and drawings of the 38 individual carved stones. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt. 3, 73-5; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 39.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 28, No. 242.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, I. 1983. Pictish vine-scroll ornament. SHG23447. 243-68. 243, No. 2.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 30, 39.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Stuart, J. 1856. Sculptured stones of Scotland. 1. 11; pl. 30.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Webpage: 2003. Tarbat Discovery Programme Sculpture Catalogue. TR1.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9151 8402 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15638 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/sites/tarbat/stonecat/sculptureCatalogue.html (Link to online Tarbat Discovery Programme Scuplture Catalogue)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.