MHG7142 - Chambered Cairn, Brahan Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH55NW 2 5045 5521.
Stone Circle (OE) (Remains of) OS 6"map, 1938
Megalithic remains consisting of several stones, only 3 of which are erect, about 2ft 6ns high.
Name Book 1876
No trace of this stone circle could be found. A much robbed chambered cairn situated on a terrace on steep S slopes of Brahan Wood. The cairn material has been removed and its perimeter cannot now be traced. 11 large slabs are to be seen, 8 of which are in situ, suggesting an Orkney/Cromarty round cairn with two polygonal chambers. The orientation is uncertain
Visited by OS (R D) 20 January 1965
This Orkney-Cromarty Cairn is situated in a forest clearing and occupies the level top of a slight spur. All that now remains are part of a two-compartment chamber measuring 7.8m from N to S, by 2.6m transversely. The spur is covered by dense vegetation and no cairn material is visible.
RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.
No change. Visited by RCAMS (JRS) March 1989.
- --- SHG2675 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 4.
- --- SHG3390 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 6, 63.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5045 5521 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3839 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12792 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.