MHG7147 - Inchrory
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH55NW 15 512 596.
Chapel of the Virgin Mary of Inchrory stood on N side of both road and river opposite Fodderty churchyard. (NH 55 NW 13)
It is mentioned 1349 and was held by Vicar of Foddertie at the Reformation. The name Croicht an Teampuil - Croft of the Church - applied to a small field at NH 512 595, probably has some bearing; and the neighbouring name 'Dochmaluag' at NH 519 599, incorporates the name of Mo-Luoc of Lismore (died 592) and could indicate an early origin for the chapel. OPS 1855; W J Watson 1904; H Scott 1929; NSA 1845; W J Watson 1926; Name Book 1876
No further information Visited by OS (J B) 25 April 1975
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Ross-shire, 252.
- --- SHG2670 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 26, No. 221.
- --- SHG2773 Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. 659-60.
- --- SHG2917 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 101.
- --- SHG2918 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 292-3.
- --- SHG3399 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 76.
- --- SHG342 Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 498-9.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5119 5960 (40m by 40m) (2 map features)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12787 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.