MHG7148 - Cup markings, Baker Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
NH55NW 14 5401 5701
There were several cup-marked stones in the old dyke which forms the boundary between Bakerhill and Ussie Mill. One (NH54SE 10) was moved to Moniack Castle.
Name Book 1876; W Jolly 1882.
No cup-marked stones can be seen in dykes between Bakerhill and Ussie Mill, but at NH 5401 5701 in corner of field are two prostrate boulders, one unmarked, but other bears at least 30 weathered cup-marks. It measures 1.7m by 1m by 0.4m.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (AA) 23 June 1975.
The cup-marked boulder at NH 5401 5701 has been removed, most probably when the new road (A832) was re-aligned recently.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) March 1989.
- --- SHG1317 Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 339-40.
- --- SHG3399 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 9, 104.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5400 5701 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12786 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.