MHG7154 - Possible Site of Chapel, Badenscallie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Thumbnail photo of graveyard
Wester Ross Project - Cathy Dagg, 02/04
Rectangular walled burial ground containing two similar burial enclosures. A chapel associated with the burial ground is not apparent. Still in use.
Cathy Dagg - Wester Ross Project, 23/3/04
NC00NW 1 0367 0611.
Chapel (NR) (In Ruins)
(Apparently applies to northernmost of two unroofed enclosures shown). Burial Ground (NAT)
OS 6"map, Sutherlandshire, 2nd ed., (1906)
'Wester Ross Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by Alastair G. Beattie & Margaret H. Beattie. The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuraciesmay be encountered. First published 1987, reprinted 1991, 1996 & 1997, with corrections.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
See Report Library Nos. 1011 & 1012, Badenscallie Burial Ground, Memorial Survey. F arrell S, 2000.
J Aitken : 28/10/02.
The ruins of an old chapel, surrounded by graves, situated close to shore at Badenscallie. The date of its erection and dedication, if it ever had one, are unknown. (See NC00NW 6, which may apply).
Name Book 1875.
There are no local traditions of a chapel at this place and two enclosures shown are of dry stone walling and apparently merely enclosures around important graves.
Mr Fraser (local historian, Achiltibuie) is of opinion that possibly burial services were sometimes held within these enclosures, which may account for "Chapel" description. According to him the burial ground is not earlier than18th c.
An Admiralty chart of 1858 describes enclosure as "Tombs" and makes no mention of a chapel. (Info from Admiralty chart of Achiltibuie 1858)
Visited by OS (E G) 25 May 1962.
There are no traces of a chapel in this burial ground, which is still in use. May's survey of the Barony of Coigach (1758; SRO, RHP 85395) shows neither a chapel nor the burial ground.
Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 17 May 1994
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beattie, A G & Beattie, M H (eds.). 1997. Pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in Wester Ross : a summary of and index to, pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions found in burial grounds in the parishes of Kincardine, Lochbroom, Gairloch, Applecross, Lochcarron, Lochalsh, Kintail and Glenshiel. 2nd. Paper (Original).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 32, 196.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 0368 0613 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4453 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.