MHG7208 - Ring cairn, Mains of Moyness


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • RING CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)

Protected Status

Full Description

Ann Coombs reports that stones of monument are built into the field wall, plus stones also survive in the wall on the other side of the road - HAW 3/2004

Site visit 18/2/2004: Gorse & bramble starting to reappear on site. Dumping of bags of concrete. New trees have been planted immediately outside the site by the farmer adj the site. At least one stone of monument now lies outside the monument fence. Stone clearance heap also been established at S end of site immed outside the monument - HAW 2/2004

Site visited and photographed by Anne-Marie Bexley, 16/10/2003. The Highland Archaeology Challenge. See Assoc. Docs. File for description, plan and photos.
J Aikten : 22/1/04

Site now tidied and well-maintained. Interpretative board also present. A M Fox, Highland Council, 15.10.01.

Conservation work done by HEAT team. Photos in Assoc. Docs.

Now overgrown again (8/2000). Community Council exploring possibility of HS assistance to maintain it.
JW 18/8/00

NH95SE 7 9527 5366.
Stone Circles (NR) (Remains of). OS 6" map (1906)

The remains of this ring-cairn are heavily overgrown with gorse. The remains consist of part of the outer kerb of the cairn, the NE part of which was destroyed by a road. The kerb is composed of irregular boulders up to 2 feet 9 inches in height. The cairn-material has been almost completely removed.
Of the outer circle, a single monolith, 4ft 6ins tall, remains, on the SE. Near it are several long thin slabs of stone, probably from the destruction of another monolith, while, on the NW of the cairn, there lies a large slab, probably another monolith, beside its original position. A row of boulders, the foundations of a field-wall, runs from this slab to W side of the kerb.
The innermost circle, now gone, had a diameter of 24ft and was paved with small stones. The central area was excavated and an urn found in 1856.
A S Henshall 1963, visited 12 April 1957

The remains of the ring-cairn are as planned and described by Henshall. Resurveyed at 1/2500.
An additional stone has been supplied on the plan supplied from Henshall.
Visited by OS (RD) 26 August 1965.

Sources/Archives (87)



Grid reference Centred NH 9527 5366 (40m by 53m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH95SE
Civil Parish AULDEARN
Geographical Area NAIRN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.