MHG7214 - BA Hoard, Bothiewells
A bronze flanged axehead and three or four rings coupled together at Bothiewells.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A MBA hoard consisting of a bronze flanged axe, 5 1/4" long, and three or four rings coupled together was found at Bothywells (Bothiewell: NH 970 527) near Darnaway. It is in Forres Museum, but the circumstances of finding and the description of the site are not known. J M Coles 1966
No further information. Visited by OS (RL) 5 January 1971.
(Wing-flanged axe of Ulrome type). Hoard. Flanged axe, condition unknown. Length c. 135mm, cutting edge c. 42mm. Forres Museum (reg. unknown). Associated finds: three or four rings coupled together, lost.
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
This hoard was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. The axehead was assigned a Middle Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 154, 136.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Walker, I C. 1974. 'The counties of Nairnshire, Moray and Banffshire in the Bronze Age, Part II', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 104 1971-2, p.71-120. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 71-120. 71-120, 102, 116.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 98, no. 598A.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. Nos. 70, 150, H5.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9700 5269 (4m by 4m)|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- RING (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15574 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.