MHG7219 - Moyness Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
According to the Comm Co local residents talk of playing in the cellarage foundations of the castle in the 1940s & 1950s. According to the farmer these are now filled in - HAW 3/2004
The site of the castle is marked on 1st ed OS as being set back from the road. There is still a heap of extremely large stones that lie in this area and come up to the road - HAW 2/2004
NH95SE 13 9508 5380.
(Moyness Castle (NR) (Site of). OS 6" map (1906)
In 1842 only a heap of stones remained of the old castle of Moyness. NSA 1845 (W Barclay)
Nothing is known of this castle, and no trace remains.
Name Book 1869
The site of Moyness Castle falls in an area of rough ground surrounded by standing crops. No remains can be seen and no further information obtained.
Visited by OS (RD) 16 August 1965
The traditional site of Moyness Castle is now occupied by a large clearance-heap situated in rough pasture.
RCAHMS 1978, visited May 1978
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol.4 (Wigton), 12.
- --- SHG2672 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 18, no.134.
- --- SHG3361 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No.3, 57.
- --- SHG4714 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- --- SHG4716 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9508 5379 (101m by 94m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3548 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15568 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.