MHG7224 - Boath Dovecot - Dooket Hill, Auldearn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DOVECOT (Scot) (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH95NW 8 9172 5562.
Dovecot (NAT) OS 6" map (1906)
Boath Dovecot is 17th century and is now property of the National Trust for Scotland. NTS List 1959
Boath Dovecot, situated on Castle or Dooket Hill, is circular, with an external diameter of 5.7m. It has one string course, and has been extensively modernised and re-roofed.
Visited by OS (RD) 22 November 1965
The building was listed at Category B in 1971.
Dooket Hill, Auldern, Highland: Archaeological Evaluation , Report No.450. By Bruce Glendinning BSc AIFA. 12/1/99.
This report presents the results of a programme of geophysical survey, and excavation carried out by Centre for Field Archaeology (CFA) in December 1998 on site of a proposed development on SW slope of Dooket Hill, Auldearn (NGR:NH 917 556). The work was commissioned by Auldearn Council, and carried out in consultation with Highland Council Archaeology Service.
The excavation revealed several features of archaeological interest, most of these were isolated pits and gullies.
J Aitken : 13/13/00.
The dovecote was included in the scheduling of the motte (Dooket Hill) that is stands on in 2000.
NAI Local Plan, Dec 2000: P39/5.2. Prospects - interpretive and visitor facilities at the Doocot.
J Aitken : 05/06/01.
Site photographed by Christine Yuil, 10/2002. See Hlink.
J Aikten : 22/1/04
NH95NW0042 Steading, etc
See Report 535. J Aitken : 03/07/02.
The building was considered for removal from the list as part of the ongoing Dual Designation project in 2016. It was recommended that it be removed from the list but that it should remain as a scheduled monument. <1>
The building was de-listed by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <2>
- --- SHG13304 Image/Photograph(s): Boath Dovecote, Auldearn.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG13305 Image/Photograph(s): Boath Dovecote, Auldearn.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG2000 Text/Report: Bruce Glendinning BSc AIFA. 12/1/99. Dooket Hill, Auldern,Highland: Archaeological Evaluation Report No.450. .
- --- SHG2053 Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 71, no.29.
- <1> SHG27440 Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Jackson, L.. 2016. Boath Dovecote: Dual Designations Project. Historic Environment Scotland. 13/06/2016. Digital.
- <2> SHG27441 Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Jackson, L.. 2016. Notification of de-listing of Boath Dovecote: Dual Designations Project. Historic Environment Scotland. 14/07/2016. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9172 5562 (16m by 16m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM9293 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15562 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.