MHG7227 - Penick Castle, Little Penwick


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CASTLE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH95NW 5 933 553.

(Area: NH 934 561) The House of Penick, latterly known as Penick Castle, was the country seat of the later Deans of Moray. It was three stories high, and its ruins disappeared shortly before 1893, but an avenue of trees still led up to the site in 1893. (Avenue of trees noted on OS 6" 1st ed at approx NH 933 553).
G Bain 1893 <1>

According to local information an avenue of trees was removed a number of years ago from the area centred NH 933 553, a ploughed field known as Castle Penick. No trace of building survives and there is no local knowledge regarding its exact position.
Visited by OS (RL) 11 December 1970

No trace remains of this three-storeyed castle which was possibly of 16th-century date. The modern Penick Farm is at NH 934 562, but the castle itself is more likely to have stood at NH 933 553.
RCAHMS 1978, visited March 1978 <2>

Note: There is no avenue of trees shown on any edition of the OS maps for this area at the NGR given but there is an unnamed building shown here on the OS 1st Edition [IS-L 11/07/2014]

Sources/Archives (2)



Grid reference Centred NH 9330 5536 (300m by 300m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH95NW
Civil Parish AULDEARN
Geographical Area NAIRN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.