MHG7242 - BA Halberd, Assich Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A BA halberd of O'Riordain's type 6, in the Morvern Institute, London, c.1936, came from "The lands of Clava and Cantray, Inverness." (O'Riordain 1936).
In 1939, Alexander Keiller (who founded this institute) gave a halberd blade, of O'Riordain's type 6, formerly in the possession of Miss May Davidson of Clava and Cantray, to the NMAS. It was labelled in the Museum's Continuation Catalogue as coming from "Asslich, Inverness" and found c.1887, but in the Donation Notice (PSAS 1940) as from "Asslich near Drumnadrochit", which is on the opposite side of Loch Ness to Clava and Cantray. Enquiries in the Drumnadrochit area in 1961 were fruitless, but there is a farm of "Assich" on the lands of Clava and Cantray at NH 812 472 (in Inverness-shire prior to the boundary changes of 1890, but now in Nairn) which may be the provenance. (Acc No: DJ 36)
S P O'Riordain 1936; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1940; I C Walker 1963.
This halberd was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 87.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Walker, I C. 1974. 'The counties of Nairnshire, Moray and Banffshire in the Bronze Age, Part II', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 104 1971-2, p.71-120. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 71-120. 98.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: O'Riordain, S P. 1936. 'The halberd in Bronze Age Europe', Archaeologia Vol. 86 1936, p.195-321. Archaeologia. 195-321. 321.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Walker, I C. 1963. 'Assich', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1963, p.39. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 39. 39.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. DJ 36.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1940. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 74 1939-40, p.147-58. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 147-58. 149; pl. lvi.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 48.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8120 4719 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
- HALBERD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15024 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/results.php?QUICKSEARCH=1&search_term=assich (Link to online NMS catalogue record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.