MHG725 - Market Cross, New Reay
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MARKET CROSS (16th Century to 17th Century - 1501 AD to 1700 AD (between))
NC96SE 30 9590 6455.
The market cross has been removed from near the parish church to near the centre of the village. Name Book 1873. <1>
Market Cross (NR) OS 6"map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1909)
The cross, the upper arm of which is missing, measures 4ft 3ins high above ground, and 1ft 11ins across the arms. <2>
Cross (NR) OS 6"map, (1963)
The market cross is as described and illustrated (q.v.) by the RCAHMS. Visited by OS (R D) 26 November 1964.
No change. Visited by OS (N K B) 17 November 1981.
NB record NC96SE0053 (Reay Burgh) claims that this cross came from old Reay with more details of fairs, free port etc - HAW 2/2003
16th or 17th century market cross. Plain shaft with cross bar (remainder of the actual cross now lost). <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 8, 16.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 110, No. 408; pl. xxxix.
- <3> Collection: Historic Scotland. Listed Buildings in the Highland Region.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9590 6455 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB18831 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7352 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.