MHG7250 - Possible Clava-type Cairn - Little Urchany
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- RING CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- (Alternate Type) STONE CIRCLE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
A possible Clava-type cairn lay some 16ft to the E or NE of NH84NE 1 until about 1840.
J Fraser 1884; A S Henshall 1963.
No trace of any feature could be found at this position.
Visited by OS (R D) 16 November 1965.
No trace of this cairn. The site marked on OS 6"map if correct would have overlain the ring cairn (NH84NE 1). Very doubtful antiquity. Visited by OS (N K B) 21 January 1971.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 7.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 388, NRN 5.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. 352; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8665 4859 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15007 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.