MHG7282 - Cairn - Carn Bad A'Churaich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic to Early Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 1 AD?)
- None recorded
NH93NW 3 9426 3844.
NH 942 384. Carn Bad a' Churaich: The remains of this small burial-cairn measure about 5.7m in diameter and stand 0.3m in height.
RCAHMS 1978, visited 1978.
The name "Carn Bad a' Churaich" appears on OS maps at NH 9617 3765, and according to the ONB, applies to "a large round hill, crossed by the Nairn / Moray boundary."
Name Book 1869.
The remains of the cairn are at NH 9426 3844 on a rise. It measures some 6.0m in diameter and is little more than 0.1m high. The periphery is discernible as a slight, heather-covered ridge of stones; the body content shows as a scant spread of rounded and angular stones protruding through a level cover of turf.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J M) 29 February 1981.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 8, No. 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 1, 79.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9426 3844 (23m by 22m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15473 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.