MHG7355 - Bonar Bridge, New Bridge (1973)
The award winning girder bridge, built to replace the 1893 bridge.
Type and Period (1)
- GIRDER BRIDGE (Built, 20th Century - 1973 AD to 1973 AD)
- None recorded
NH69SW 62.01 609 915 (predecessor) Old Bridge
For Telford bridge (NH 6093 9154), see NH69SW 61.
The present Bonar Bridge was designed by Crouch and Hogg, built by William Tawse Ltd, and opened 1973. It is of bowstring girder construction, measures 339 ft (103.4m) in overall length, and is built on a slight gradient like its predecessor (NH69SW 62.01).
G Nelson 1990. <1>
This bowstring girder bridge (built 1973) replaces an 1893 bridge built by Sir William Arrol & Co Ltd, Glasgow. This in turn replaced the earlier Thomas Telford bridge (see also NS69SW 62.01).
Information from RCAHMS, 29 June 1995.
This bridge carries present A9 (T) public road over the Kyle of Sutherland, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Kincardine and Creich.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 May 1998.
Metal bridge upstanding across firth. Award winning bridge. Semi circular girder design. <2>
Nicki MacRae submitted a photograph of this bridge in May 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cullen Wallace, A A. 1975. Bonar Bridge in Scotland. 288-96; figs 1-14.
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Scottish Development Department. 1973. Bonar Bridge 1973. 1-5; 2, 4, 5, 6.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Structural Steel Design Awards. 1974. Bonar Bridge, structural engineers Crouch and Hogg, steelwork contarctors Redpath Dorman Long (contracting) Ltd..
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Nelson, G. 1990. Highland Bridges. Paperback. 176.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sneddon, D, Gheorghiou, D, Hansom, J and Shearer, I. 03/2010. East Sutherland Coastal Zone Assessment survey: Data Structure Report. Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD). 12/9/10. Digital. Site 5.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): MacRae, N. 2009-2011. Photographs of various HER sites by Nicki MacRae. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6092 9154 (111m by 46m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.