MHG7380 - Chambered Cairn, Cnoc Chaornaidh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
(NC 2990 0841) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1967)
This chambered cairn (Orkney-Cromarty group, polygonal chamber, round cairn) is situated in open moorland, standing almost on crest of a saddle between Cnoc Chaornaid and a spur, at about 600 ft O D. The cairn has been almost entirely removed but it is possible to trace edge, giving a diameter E-W of about 45 ft and N-S of about 55 ft. There have been a number of considerable and apparently widely spaced stones on periphery of these one 5.5ft long lies prone to NE of entrance while three remain in arc behind chamber, 20 ft apart; that to NE is 5 ft 3 ins high and 5 ft 5 ins wide, NW 1 ft 3 ins high, and SE now flush with ground. The main stones of chamber remain. The entrance has been from SE. Large slabs lying beside the chamber are probably remains of the dry-walling from between the orthostats.
A S Henshall 1963.
This cairn is as described by Miss Henshall. The main walls of the cairn, badly mutilated in places, rise to a height of 1.3m.
Visited by OS (E G) 1 June 1962.
Although described by Miss Henshall as round, this cairn has probably been heel-shaped. J M Howell 1976 (see archive).
A chambered cairn as described and planned by Miss Henshall.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (N K B) 18 June 1980.
FE Management Plan received 30/03/01.
J Aitken : 30/03/01.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 344, ROS 15; plan, fig. 78 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M., 1980, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979, 152, LOU 1 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2510.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. 152, LOU 1.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 344, ROS 15; plan, fig. 78.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2990 0841 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4045 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4045 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4606 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.