MHG7389 - Cnoc Chaornaidh Centre
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC30NW 3 3017 0818.
(NC 30170818) Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1967)
A probable chambered cairn, 13.0m in diameter and 2.4m in maximum height, partly ruined on the south and SE but otherwise undisturbed and grass-grown. Two large slabs are visible on the south side, neither at nor leading to the centre and behind them to the NW is a cavity with a side slab and lintel just visible. Other large slabs lie about. The cairn seems to have been chambered but the present remains are impossible to interpret.
Surveyed at 1:10 560.
A S Henshall 1963; Visited by OS (W D J) 4 April 1963.
No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (J B) 23 September 1976.
FE Management Plan received 30/03/01.
J Aitken : 30/03/01.
Chambered Cairn, Cnoc Chaornaidh Centre (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG15502.
Chambered Cairn, possible entrance? (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG15500.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 344, ROS 16 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M., 1980, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979, 152, LOU 2 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2510.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Chambered Cairn, possible entrance?. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Chambered Cairn, Cnoc Chaornaidh Centre. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. 152, LOU 2.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 344, ROS 16.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 3017 0818 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4023 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4023 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4738 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.