MHG7391 - Chambered Cairn, Allt Eileag
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
(NC 3135 0794) Cairn (NR). OS 6"map, (1967)
A fine,possibly Orkney-Cromarty type horned cairn of bare stone measuring 20m diameter and 2.3m high was discovered during field investigation. It shows some disturbance but is unlikely to have been robbed. The east side is probably distorted by a short stretch of secondary walling. The entrance has probably been from a little north of east, from the centre of the flatter side of the cairn, but none of the passage structure is now discernible. The chamber is indicated by a number of corbel stones mostly belonging to the NW side and the innermost wall, the roof having partly collapsed, though the chamber and passage are presumably otherwise intact. Various large slabs lie apart outside the chamber, presumably displaced corbel stones and lintels.
A S Henshall 1972; Visited by OS (R D L) 6 April 1963.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 23 September 1976.
The cairn is heel-shaped with a horned facade. A bank of hard cairn material, sloping at a more oblique angle than the rest of the cairn, occurs around the area of the chamber and may represent the remains of an earlier structure, although it could also result from differential robbing.
J M Howell 1976 (see archive)
Howell's amendment to Miss Henshall's description confirmed.
Visited by OS (N K B) 23 June 1980.
Henshall, A S, 1972, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2, 564-6, ROS 43; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG358.
Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M., 1980, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979, 152-3, LOU 4 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2510.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. 152-3, LOU 4.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 564-6, ROS 43; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 3135 0794 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4046 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4046 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/4740 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.