MHG7424 - Carron Bridge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Carron Bridge. It was listed at Category B in 1971.
(Location cited as NH 595 910). Ardgay Bridge over the River Carron, built 1818 by Alexander Thomas Luirson. This bridge is unusually early for a highland road bridge, reflecting the importance of the area. A tall segmental span of 28 yds (25.6m) strengthened with narrowly curved buttresses which connect with the abutment imposts. There is a small gated flood arch. <1>
The following inscription was read on the bridge, from scaffolding erected for repair-work: This Bridge was erected at the expense of the 2nd District of Roads in Rosshire in MDCCCXVIII - Alex & Thos Muirson, Architects - Repaired 192 ? By Alex Grant Architects.
Information from Dr J Close-Brooks May 1990.
This bridge carries an unclassified public road over the River Carron near Gledfield House.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 6 May 1998.
In 2014 ARCH provided a number of courses, field trips and other activities exploring and researching the remains of the 19th century engineer, road and church builder Thomas Telford. A project was undertaken in Kyle of Sutherland, during which many sites were visited and photographed by participants. It was considered that the small gated arch is more likely to be to allow animals to pass. <2>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap.<3>
- <1> SHG2572 Text/Publication/Volume: Nelson, G. 1990. Highland Bridges. Paperback. 153.
- <2> SHG27906 Dataset/Database File: Kruse, S.. 2015. Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 11.
- <3> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5853 9101 (29m by 42m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (4)
- http://kweimar.de/Bilder_XML.php?ket=10_04 (View more information on this bridge from a website about Highland Bridges)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7167 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/telford-in-kyle-of-sutherland.asp (Visit the ARCH Telford in the Kyle of Sutherland Project page)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/79670 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.