MHG7460 - Possible Fort, The Torr
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORT (Undated)
- None recorded
NG91NW 2 93 18.
A vitrified fort, "The Torr", near the mouth of the River Shiel, is listed by both Christison (D Christison 1898) and Childe (V G Childe 1946).
Cotton (M A Cotton 1954) has assumed that this is where the river flows into Loch Duich, but field investigation has failed to find any trace of a fort or vitrified material in the area, and no local knowledge of "The Torr".
It is probable that the site referred to is in fact NM67SE 4. (Ardnamurchan, Argyll).
D Christison 1898; V G Childe 1946; M A Cotton 1954; Visited by OS (WDJ) 26 September 1966.
Christison, D, 1898, Early fortifications in Scotland: motes, camps and forts: the Rhind lectures in archaeology for 1894, 193, No. 12 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2049.
Childe, V G, 1946, Scotland before the Scots: being the Rhind lectures 1944, 135, No. 30 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2047.
Cotton, M A, 1954, 'British camps with timbered-laced ramparts', Archaeol J, Vol. 111, pp 26-105, 76 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG288.
Nisbet, H C, 1975, 'A geological approach to vitrified forts, part II: bedrock and building stone', Science and Archaeology, Vol 15, pp 3-16, p 12, no.32 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG43.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Childe, V G. 1946. Scotland before the Scots: being the Rhind lectures 1944. 135, No. 30.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Christison, D. 1898. Early fortifications in Scotland: motes, camps and forts: the Rhind lectures in archaeology for 1894. 193, No. 12.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Cotton, M A. 1954. 'British camps with timbered-laced ramparts', Archaeol J, Vol. 111, pp 26-105. 76.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Nisbet, H C. 1975. 'A geological approach to vitrified forts, part II: bedrock and building stone', Science and Archaeology, Vol 15, pp 3-16. p 12, no.32.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9300 1800 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12001 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.