MHG7465 - Caisteal Gorach, Tulloch Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FOLLY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH56SW 38 5444 6112
Robert Adam, 1789-90. Picturesque folly; 2-storey circular "ruined" tower.
SDD List 1983.
Cait McCullagh submitted photos of this site via the Highland HER Facebook page. Members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society 'Roads Through Ross' Project have surveyed the sub-oval ditched and embanked feature here. Although generally thought to be contemporary with the folly there is a suggestion that the feature could be earlier as it seems to underlie the structure and may have been levelled at the façade end. <1>
Caisteal Gorach was visited and photographed by A Cruickshank on the 10th of July 2014. Concern was expressed that the damage to the ruins was potentially getting worse. <2>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to the location of the site as visible on 2009 vertical APs. <3>
- --- SHG18337 Image/Photograph(s): Tulloch. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG23745 Image/Photograph(s): Swanson, A. 03/2007. Caisteal Gorach, Tulloch Hill. Yes. Digital.
- --- SHG24076 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Oblique: Bone, J. Aerial photographs of various sites submitted by Jim Bone. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- SHG2545 Text/Publication/Volume: Mowat, I R M. 1981. Easter Ross 1750-1850, the double frontier. 90.
- --- SHG2785 Text/Publication/Volume: SDD. 1960-. List of Buildings of Architectural or Historical Interest, (Lists held in Architectural Department of RCAHMS). Dingwall parish, 28, no.21.
- <1> SHG25262 Interactive Resource/Webpage: Highland Council. 2011. Highland HER Facebook page. Yes. Cait McCullagh, 10/04/2011.
- <2> SHG26513 Image/Photograph(s): Cruickshanks, A. 2014. Photographs showing the condition of Castle Gorach in July 2014. Colour digital. Yes. Digital.
- <3> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5445 6112 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB24520 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/BAR/detail.aspx?sctID=3650 (Buildings at Risk register entry)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/69613 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- www.facebook.com/HighlandHER (Highland HER Facebook page)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.