MHG7502 - Old Shandwick
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
Chapel (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
At Shandwick there was a chapel and graveyard, and walls of the former were "nearly entire" towards end of 18th century (OPS 1855). The chapel is said to be coeval with adjacent castle (ie. 15th century) (NH87SE 2) (ONB 1872).
During 1939-45 war, stone was quarried from this site to build RNAS airfield at Loans of Rarichie. Not much was cut away on E of site, but enough to expose graves and bones, latter being thrown away.
Dressed stones and remains of a wall were found, now flush with ground and about 20' long. The length is parallel with face of headstone 'A'.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; Name Book 1872; Info from J Howdle to OS 29 August 1961; Info from H Ross, general merchant, Shandwick,
H Ross, farm worker, Old Shandwick Farm, A Vass, 4 Park of Balintore and Christie, shepherd, Cullisse to OS.
No trace of chapel. Little remains of graveyard which has been partially destroyed by quarrying and more recently by a silage pit when several skeletons were disturbed. A skull was recently exposed beside headstone 'A' and was immediately reburied (info from H Ross, Old Shandwick Farm). The footings of the wall, 0.6m thick, noted by Howdle can be traced for c15m running N-S. It cannot be established if it is part of graveyard wall or not.
Visited by OS (I S S) 29 August 1972.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 26, 12 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3357.
OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 455 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 27, No. 233 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 27, No. 233.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 26, 12.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 455.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8581 7453 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15275 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.