MHG7512 - St. John's Chapel, Inver
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
In 1633 the lands of Arkboll included 'Portnawest or the harbour of St John, with the chapel of St John'. The chapel stood at Wester Arboll, dedicated to St John the Baptist.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
Mrs Ross (B Ross, Inver) recalls her father talking about St John's Chapel which was alleged to have been in the vicinity of the disused burial ground at NH 8646 8293. The burial ground was used for cholera victims and shows no headstones. There is now no trace of the chapel and the area is covered by turf-covered blown sand.
Visited by OS (A A) 20 September 1972.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 28, No. 244.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 435, 450.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8645 8293 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15311 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.