MHG7517 - Chapel, Midd Genie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH87NE 9 8971 7923 to 8961 7911.
A chapel was built at Midd Genie between 1486 and 1516, known as Chapel Barr. Probably dedicated to St Barr (OPS 1855).
Chappel Barr lies about 2 miles E of Tarbat church at Midganzies.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; W Macfarlane 1906-8.
According to Sir Kenneth Murray (Geanies House) a family tradition asserts that a chapel once stood at approximately NH 8971 7923, but there is now no trace of it, and the dedication is not known. At NH 8961 7911 are two arched gateways over a path along the cliffs where traditionally the monks from Fearn Abbey are said to have come to make their penance.
Visited by OS (A A) 20 September 1972.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 215.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 27, No. 227.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 436.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8960 7911 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15263 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.