MHG7636 - Findspot of 'font' - Applecross

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • FONT (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

(NG 7142 4585) Holy Water Font found here AD 1874 (NAT)
OS B6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)

1st ed describes "Holy Water Font found here in 1874" in a spot to the east of the graveyard - HAW 10/2002

The Name Book records that a stone resembling a holy water font was found in the spring of 1874 and Macrow adds that it was used as a poultry drinking-trough by the manse incumbents.
Name Book 1875; B G Macrow 1953.

This font was not known at the former manse, now a farmhouse.
Visited by OS (R D) 21 July 1965.

Inside the chapel (NG74NW 3) is a broken sandstone block, 0.5m x 0.4m x 0.15m deep, bearing a dished hollow. This may be the alleged font found in 1874, although it looks more like a broken saddle quern. Visited by OS (A A) 31 May 1974.

GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to adjusted position as seen on OS 1st Edition map. <1>

See also:
NG74NW0001 (Parent) St. Maelrubha's monastery
NG74NW0002 Cross-slab
NG74NW0003 Churchyard chapel
NG74NW0005 Old Parish Church
NG74NW0006 Burial Ground
NG74NW0014 Font

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 7142 4586 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NG74NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish APPLECROSS

Finds (2)

  • FONT (Undated)
  • SADDLE QUERN (Undated)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.