MHG767 - Burial Ground, Dalnawillan
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BURIAL GROUND (Undated)
- BROCH? (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Grave Yard (NAT) OS 6" map, (1962)
'Caithness Monumental Inscriptions', pre 1855
Monumental inscription survey completed by A.S.Cowper & I.Ross.
The survey may not include inscription information after 1855 and each inscription transcribed does not give the full details that appear on the stones, abbreviations used. Some ommissions and inacuracies. Published 1992.
J Aitken : 20/12/02
The burial ground at Dalnawillan is believed to be on top of a broch.
J Anderson 1873.
On summit of a small eminence, which looks as if it had been fortified, there is a burial place, at Dalnawillan, associated with St Ciaran (for which association, see NC94SE 1).
A MacKay 1914.
There is no evidence that graveyard ocupies site of a broch, nor is ther any local info to this effect.
Visited by OS (J L D) 20 April 1961.
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 24 February 1982.
ND04 1 DALNAWILLAN ('Dalnawillan Graveyard')
Possible broch in Halkirk, Caith-ness, reputed to be underneath the burial ground ; there is nothing to be seen on the ground to support this idea.
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 04 SW 1: 2. Anderson 1873, 186: 3. Mackay 1914, 33. <1>
- --- SHG1281 Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1873. ''Notice of the excavation of the brochs of Yarhouse, Brounaben, Bowermadden, Old Stirkake, and Dunbeath in Caithness; with remarks on the period of the brochs, and an appendix, containing a collected list of the brochs of Scotland, and early notices of m. Archaeol Scot. 131-98. 186.
- --- SHG1838 Text/Publication/Monograph: A S Cowper & I Ross. 1992. Caithness Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 3.
- --- SHG2457 Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 33.
- --- SHG3470 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
- <1> SHG26111 Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. ND04 1 DALNAWILLAN.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0301 4094 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7615 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.