MHG7677 - Applecross Holy Well
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOLY WELL (Undated)
- None recorded
NG74SW 5 7170 4499.
(NG7170 4499) Well (NAT) OS 25"map, (1904)
There is a holy well by the roadside, west of Applecross House, and near the alleged site of St. Maelrubha's cell (NG74SW 1). It is nameless.
W J Watson 1904.
50m NE of the supposed St. Maelrubha's cell there is a drinking-place fed by a spring and led through a culvert under the road. It has steps leading down to it and an iron drinking ladle is pinned to the wall alongside. According to local tradition this well is reputed to be holy.
Visited by OS (R D) 28 April 1965.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7170 4498 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11746 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.