MHG7682 - Applecross - Four Trees
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- MONASTIC SETTLEMENT (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) BUILDING (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The name 'Apple Cross' .... applies to four trees.. formerly called Comeraich (Name Book 1875). Watson (W J Watson 1904) says "the four trees in the form of an oblong with a (supposed) crabapple in the centre was absurdly propounded as the origin of the name Applecross. This is the supposed site of Maelrubha's cell and is called 'Lagan na Comraich', 'the little hollow of the sanctuary'.
The present remains, situated at NG 7167 4495, comprise the apparent footings of a small building, one side of which abuts on the road boundary wall, measuring about 4 m square with walling 1 m thick. There is a tree stump at each corner: the interior is featureless.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R D) 28 April 1965; Name Book 1875; W J Watson 1904.
St.Maelrubha planted a monastery at Applecross in ad 673. (See NG74NW 1) W D Simpson 1935
SEE NG 74 NW 0003A and NG 74 NW 0003B
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1935. The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships. 59, 76, 79-80.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 203.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 4, 38.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7167 4495 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11741 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.