MHG7683 - Applecross Old Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Built 1817 NSA (R Macrae) 1845 <1>
The churchyard (by extension including the church) and the remains of the C7 monastery were Scheduled in 1969.
The Old Parish Church and burial ground were listed at category B on 25/03/1971.
Simple building lying within earlier graveyard, but on different alignment to earlier graves. Still roofed/maintained etc - HAW 5/2003
A conservation report on this church was prepared by Andrew P K Wright in 2007 following a request by the Trustees of the Scottish Architectural Churches Heritage Trust who were considering a grant application for replacement windows. A copy of the report subsequently accompanied an application for listed building consent made to the Highland Council in 2010 (10/04377/LBC). The report includes a detailed written description of the fabric of the building and recommendations for conservation work. A series of photographs were taken and are presented in Part II of the report. <2>
Following a site visit and assessment by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016-17 as part of the Dual Designations project, it was considered that the early Christian monastery, the cross-slab and the small roofless chapel were of national importance and would remain scheduled and would be excluded from the listed building designation. In addition, all the other memorials and the Old Parish Church were considered to be of special architectural or historic interest and would remain listed at category B. They would also be excluded from the scheduled monument. <3>
The listing and Scheduling were amended on 29/05/2017. <4>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap. <5>
NG74NW0001 (Parent) St. Maelrubha's monastery
NG74NW0003 Churchyard chapel
NG74NW0005 Old Parish Church
NG74NW0006 Burial Ground
NG74SW0001 Supposed site of St. Maelrubha's cell.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Ross-shire, 104.
- <2> Text/Report: Wright, A P K. 04/2007. Conservation Report on Clachan Church, Applecross. Unaffiliated. Digital.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Environment Scotland. 2017. Assessment for Dual designations Project: Applecross, Old Parish Church and site of monastery LB456 & SM2802. Historic Environment Scotland. 29/03/2017. Digital.
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Denholm, L.. 2017. Notification of the amendments to the designations of Old Parish Church, Applecross. Historic Environment Scotland. 06/06/2017. Digital.
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7135 4583 (25m by 22m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB456 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2802 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11740 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.