MHG7727 - Iron slag, beside Gairloch churchyard Glac Uisge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- IRON WORKING SITE (Undated)
- None recorded
NG87NW 3 807 756.
(Area: NG 807 756) 'Bloom of iron, one of many found beside Gairloch churchyard, Ross-shire. Presented by W G Bannerman, Gairloch, Ross and Cromarty' to the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1951-2.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1954
There are a few masses of slag near entrance to Gairloch churchyard. Owing to crowded state of graves within, some interments have recently taken place outside churchyard, and this slag has been dug up. Mr Macadam has analysed this slag and does not think it is the result of iron-smelting.
J H Dixon 1886.
Several years ago while digging a drain along outside of Gairloch churchyard, Mr Bannerman (G Bannerman, District Surveyor, Gairloch, Wester Ross) discovered traces of bog iron slag at NG 8070 7568, samples of which he now had in his possession. No trace of any slag can now be found at this site.
Site surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R D) 30 March 1965.
Dixon, J H, 1886, Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree, 95 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2125.
PSAS, 1954, 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 86 1951-2, p.209-18, 211 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG583.
Close-Brooks, J, 1986, Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands, 140, No. 71 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2053.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 140, No. 71.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Dixon, J H. 1886. Gairloch in north west Ross-shire: its records, traditions inhabitants and natural history with a guide to Gairloch and Loch Maree. 95.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1954. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 86 1951-2, p.209-18. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 209-18. 211.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8069 7560 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SLAG (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11956 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.